GE panel to NEMA 14-50 charger 3 wire?? Model 3 - Tesla-Buzz Forums | Model S, Model X, and Roadster

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 04:17 AM Thread Starter

GE panel to NEMA 14-50 charger 3 wire?? Model 3

Hi Folks,

New to this forum and wanted to share my take on doing the Installation DIY. I’m almost ready to wire the breaker but gave a small problem. NO Ground bus bar to connect my ground wire.

I’ve read lots of post that all pretty much have these three things in common.

50 Amp breaker
6 gage 3+ground wire
NEMA 50 Amp receptacle outlet.

My first question is I have a 2018 Model 3 with a stock portable charger rated at 32Amps maximum at 240 volts. Why do I need a 50 Amp barker if the factory charger is only rated at 32 Amps maximum current? Is 40 Amps not code?? Circuit breakers are designed to trip a fault if wires take on to much current. So putting a 50 Amp to run 32 Amps maximum is a mystery to me. Shouldn’t it have a 40Amp to protect the Tesla charger wires?

Secondly, my home was built in 2005. I have a GE Panel with no ground Bus bar. It only has Neutral bus.

Since I’m only running one dedicated outlet directly from the breaker, and no ground to connect. Why can’t I just pull the white wire and run my two hots and ground direct to the Neutral bus?

The NEMA 14-50 outlet is located behind the panel so minimal wire is needed.

I’m not an electrician here, but lately I can’t find any wiring jobs done that reflect my type of panel. Specially the issue with the 32Amp charger taking on a higher Amp breaker that could be unsafe and prone to melt and catch fire.

Thanks,

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Tesla-Buzz Forums | Model S, Model X, and Roadster forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page